GIS Day 2018
Please join us in celebrating GIS Day at Clemson University on Wednesday, November 14, 2018! This event is the culmination of the work done by faculty, researchers, and GIS professionals in the past year.
This is a great opportunity for the GIS community around Clemson to connect with fellow professionals, inspire others with their fantastic work, and pique the interest of the general public when it comes to GIS and its possible real-world applications.
GIS Day features amazing presentations from faculty and GIS professionals across the region. There will also be food and beverages, contests and prizes, and a sandbox and games for children of all ages, so bring your kids along for the fun!
11am - 4pm Drones, Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality Tours
Exhibitors from NASA, Esri, Clemson Geopaths, and Clemson Mappers
3D Coloring Contest - paint a 3D printed model
Where in the World Contest
11:30am - 1pm Mapathon (Mapping for Good) with lunch
1:15 - 1:30pm Opening remarks by Dean Cox and Dr. Barbara Speziale
1:30 - 4pm Lightning Talks
Keynote Panel: Research Innovation using Drone Technology at Clemson
- Opportunities for GIS-enhanced Autonomous Systems, Dr. Venkat Krovi, Michelin Endowed Chair Professor of Vehicle Automation, The Carroll A. Campbell Jr. Graduate Engineering Center (CGEC), Clemson University
- Vistas in Hyperspectral Remote Sensing with Drones, Dr. Bruce Rafert, Emeritus Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Clemson University
- Drone-based Sensing for Precision Agriculture Applications, Dr. Joe Mari J. Maja, Research Sensor Engineer, Edisto Research & Education Center, Clemson University
- What can we Learn from UAV photogrammetry-derived 3D Surfaces?, Dr. Christopher Post, Professor of Environmental Information Science, Forestry and Environmental Conservation, Clemson University
- The UAV Research Support Program at Clemson, Blake Lytle, UAV and GIS Coordinator, Clemson Center for Geospatial Technologies, Clemson University
- Drones for Good: Empowering Students with Technology Innovation, Michael Summers, President, Clemson Mappers
- The NASA DEVELOP Program: Applied Research Opportunities for Students and Recent Graduates, Jonathan O'Brien, DEVELOP Ambassador, NASA DEVELOP National Program at Langley Research Center
- Mapping and Validating Drinking Water Quality Data in South Carolina, Dr. David Ladner, Associate Professor, Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences, Clemson University
- Interesting and Practical Uses for GIS Web Applications, Andrew Munn, ArcGIS Technical Support Group Lead, and Zemin Dhanani, ArcGIS Technical Support Analyst, Technical Support Team, ESRI Charlotte
- Student-created, Place-based Storytelling in the Geosciences with ESRI Story Maps, Dr. Kelly Best Lazar, Assistant Professor, Engineering & Science Education, Clemson University
- Charlotte Future - Integrating Technology in City Planning, Providence Adu, Associate Planner, Charlotte Planning, Design & Development, City of Charlotte
- Impact of US Coal Transport, Dr. Michael Carbajales-Dale, Assistant Professor, and John Sherwood, Ph.D. Student, Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences, Clemson University
- GIS in Traffic Safety Analysis, Dr. Wayne Sarasua, Associate Professor, Civil Engineering, Clemson University
- Tracking Classical Biological Control Efforts for Management of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, Dr. Joe Culin, Associate Dean of Research, Plant & Environmental Sciences, Clemson University
- Navigating Access at Clemson University, Dr. Jennifer Ogle, Associate Professor, Civil Engineering, Clemson University
4 - 4:30pm Prize giveaway!
Lightning Talks, Map Gallery, Tours, Games, Contests, Food, and Awards!
Open to the public
November 14, 11am-4:30pm
Clemson GIS Day 2018 Sponsors & Partners
Clemson Center for Geospatial Technologies
Clemson Computing and Information Technology
Watt Family Innovation Center
Clemson VR Club
Clemson Student Chapter ITE
City of Charlotte
Special thanks to Dean Cox and Dr. Barbara Speziale for their wonderful collaboration and support. We are also specially grateful to our Plenary panel of Dr. Venkat Krovi, Dr. Bruce Rafert, Dr. Joe Maja, Dr. Christopher Post, Blake Lytle and Michael Summers, all of our guest speakers, especially those traveling far away from Esri, NASA, and City of Charlotte,Teri Alexander, Ryan Real, Walter Wilson, Chris Vinson, , Kelsey Sheaffer, Clemson Geopaths, Clemson Visualization Club, the Clemson Makerspace, and everyone who makes this day possible!